Wednesday 24 August 2016

I came to the Corcovado Foundation as an environmental science major trying to figure out if the path of a field researcher is one I really want to take. This was the best possible decision I could have made. During night patrol the last 4 weeks I worked on over 20 turtles, helping to measure the turtles' carapace, write down data, camouflage nests, and relocate eggs that are at risk. While the turtles are obviously the main purpose of being here, we have ample free time during the day to go to the beach or the river, travel to Puerto Jimenez, go on hikes, hit up the bar, and relax in hammocks. The Osa Peninsula is absolutely beautiful and the wildlife you will see is incredible. In addition to all of this, the volunteers and leaders here are some of the most wonderful people you will ever have the pleasure to meet. Thank you Emily, Ed, Eva, Alberto, and Aida for making this such an unforgettable experience and I'll miss you all! I may be leaving with more bug bites than the entire population to Costa Rica has put together and a recently developed fear of rice and beans, but I can't say enough good things about this program. Thank you again and I can't wait to tell everyone back in California about my time at Hacienda Rio Oro.

Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment