Thursday 9 July 2015

Vitamin Sea

09.07.2015

I am searching for words as my group of 6th graders stare at me. I'm nervous. How can I tell them that for the last week they have taught and inspired me?

You can change the world!

It is simple and to the point.

Silence remains, some hugs are shared then my group of wonderful students get on the bus and return to school and their daily lives, no longer in the comfort of their bunks at the outdoor science school they are attending. Just before they are all aboard, one student runs back, hands me his beloved Rubrik's Cube, and informs me that I too can change the world. Simple and to the point.

So that is why I am here. That is why we are all here, in the middle of the jungle, living on a diet of rice and beans, and patrolling beaches at all hours of the night. We are going to change the world. We are going to ensure the safety of hundreds of turtles and help to establish a community that is united around the protection of the beautiful environment that surrounds them.

I cannot imagine working for a better cause or being surrounded by a different group of volunteers and workers. Hailing from all corners of the world, those that assist the Corcovado Foundation are truly spectacular and the work that is completed is making a difference. There is no other way to say it. I wish that everyone would travel and receive such a life changing experience.

Unfortunately, it is my last night, but I am leaving with the same feeling that I had when recieving my most prized possession, the Rubik's Cube. I got to help change the world. Now it's your turn.

Pura Vida!

Katelyn Sullivan
Katelynsullivan21@gmail.com
Philadelphia, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment