Friday 21 August 2015

Veni, Vidi, Amavi

I have been here for 3 days, and already this has been the most adventurous, enjoyable and eye-opening trip I have experienced! I arrived in San Jose on Sunday, and as the plane landed I was excited and nervous (mostly nervous), I couldn't help thinking to myself, "what have I gotten myself into" as this is the first big trip I have done alone. It took a a day or two to get settled, but I already know it is going to very hard to leave this wonderful place. Being in San Jose for two nights was an adventure itself, however, as an environmental science student I couldn't have been more excited to take the long 9 hour journey to Drake Bay and get out into nature. The second I got here it felt like home. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly and the atmosphere is very relaxing. I have only been here a short amount of time but I feel like I have done so much, and there is still so much I want to do! I think the trek to the beach may be my favourite part, although it is long, there is much to see and do on the way. Whether its waving to locals, playing with dogs, canoeing across the lagoon or taking the "Indian Jones" style bridge, something new always happens each time I go to the beach. I have done two night patrols so far, I haven't seen a turtle yet, but I have not lost hope, I still have lots of time! The night patrols can be quite tiring however it is beautiful to just look at the stars and watch the lightning light of the sky and the fireflies light up the beach. I am here for another week and a few days but I am already wishing it was longer.

I have so many stories already that I can't wait to share with my family when I get back home. There have been so many "I can't believe I'm doing this right now" moments and I absolutely love it. I have done so many things I never thought I would. I've always loved traveling and I have been lucky enough to have gone on many vacations but after this trip I feel like this is the first time I've REALLY traveled. Coming here and living with a host family, and being thrown into their culture and way of life, it's just so different then just going to some resort and lying on a beach. I feel more a part of a community and I love being able to help protect the sea turtles. This was a huge step out of my comfort zone and I'm so happy that I did it. I have fallen in love with Costa Rica.

I wish I could post a picture but clumsy me fell out of the canoe into the river and soaked my phone on the first day, but that's okay its just the universe telling me to get off my phone and enjoy this beautiful place.

Veni, Vidi, Amavi. I came, I saw, I loved.

Peace and Love,

       - Rachel, 19, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment